And when I opened my eyes...

It's been a good long while since I made a personal blog post. Anyone who reads this may very well know how consumed in my business, Body Buddies, I have been. Taking my hobby into a full-fledged business has been the storm that almost sunk my ship many times. The demands on my every day life and the expectation for what needs done in any given 24 hours have, at times, caused me to call home crying, "I hate it! I hate it! I'm DONE!"

Thank goodness for kind and loving parents who told me they loved me and sought to help me figure out the issues that had me so perplexed.

Thank goodness for being blessed with a stubborn personality as well.

Except. . . there are time that my stubborness doesn't serve me well. Like yesterday, for example.

It was my good friend, Rachel's wedding, and I was to be a bridesmaid with the wedding party. I was tickled pink by her request, and had placed the outfit that 7 others would also be wearing in a Ziploc bag on top of my stack of plastic cubbies where I keep my gym clothes, socks, sweats, etc. Being so busy with appointments and to-dos prior to the wedding, I didn't think much about the outfit until it was time to get dressed and head over.

I had already done my hair and makeup, so was ready to put the final touches on. I walked to the closet, opened the door, and froze as I looked on top of the plastic cubby drawers to see the plastic bag was nowhere in sight. Surely, it had to be there! I had not moved it since I placed it there a few weeks previous.

However, 10 minutes passed as my slow, methodical searching progessed into a frenzied tossing and scattering.

What was I to do? 


Should I try to find an outfit in the same colors? Oh gosh no that would look so stupid!

Should I just not go and beg for her forgiveness later? No. That would go to show just how horrible of a friend I am (a fear of mine as everyone knows I'm "too busy" to go do stuff...).

I had been pushing back the thought to "stop and pray for help" during this time because:

1. I was already in a rush. I didn't need to take more time. I needed to find the outfit!

2. It was my own fault I had lost it. It wasn't God's problem that I had misplaced something. He had bigger things to worry about.

3. I didn't want to put a dent in my faith if I prayed, then still couldn't find the outfit (a topic for another post).

But when the clock was ticking and I was at a crossroads of "find the outfit or don't go," I finally threw my hands in the air and dropped to my knees in the closet right where I stood.

"Heavenly Father," I prayed. "I feel really silly asking for Thy help in this. But I care about my friend. I want to be there for her. I've looked for the outfit in every place I can think of. I am mortal and can only see with my eyes. If it be Thy will that I go to the wedding, please help me find the outfit... asap."

I closed my prayer, exhaled slightly, then opened my eyes. I looked straight forward as I sought to open my mind and my heart to be directed, to capture a fleeting thought or idea that might come. I was led to turn my head 45 degrees to the left and gasped.

There it was. The ziplock bag with the oh-so-important Bridesmaid outfit was wedged between two cubbies that I had already pulled out and thrown on my bed. I couldn't even get the outfit because tears started pouring from my eyes. It took me a moment to collect myself, offering a prayer of humble gratitude, before I donned the outfit and went off to enjoy the wedding.

As I reflect back on this experience, I realize how much of a valuable lesson I learned. I know I would have never found the outfit had I not dropped to my knees. I am getting teary-eyed even now, thinking of this. No, it was not a coincidence. No, it wasn't luck. This was a very important lesson for me to learn. Looking back on the reasons I didn't want to pray, I now would add these conjectures:

1. I was already in a rush. I didn't need to take more time. I needed to find the outfit!
Heavenly Father showed me that He could save me time when I humbled myself enough to ask for help.

2. It was my own fault I had lost it. It wasn't God's problem that I had misplaced something. He had bigger things to worry about.
God's greatest joy is in His children. He cares about me, and he cares about us all. He is always watching, listening, and waiting for us to turn to Him.

3. I didn't want to put a dent in my faith if I prayed, then still couldn't find the outfit (a topic for another post).
This is still a tough one for me to answer, and I'm slowly accumulating faith in this department. I would love to hear any reader's opinions in the comments below.

Heavenly Father hears our prayers.

He has reaffirmed this to me... again.

He is a very patient Father, putting up with His stubborn daughter. :)

Popular Posts